Start Learning Thai in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

phonics/vowels + penmanship/writing

allen_19189
New in Town

phonics/vowels + penmanship/writing

Postby allen_19189 » June 4th, 2017 10:32 pm

When I learned english as a kid, I learned how to speak, read, write at the same time. Learning them simultaneously helped with retention and comprehension. In my very first year of english classes, PHONICS was the most important element. In english, there are around 44 phonics sounds, but we only use a few characters to represent those sounds. As with many other facets of english language - doing vowels and phonics this way is technically MORE difficult than the Thai way, if you think about it. The Thai way has special marks for each sound type. Regardless, our learning starts with characters and phonics, while our daily life helps with vocabulary and pronunciation. This way, when a solid ability to read is established, the student can expand vocabulary more and more rapidly over time.

Coverage of Thai vowels and phonics is always sparse and/or rushed in every program I run into. I need to be able to read out the words I see so I can expand my understanding of Thai naturally - the same way I developed my understanding of english. I should be able to focus on vowels, phonics and developing an understanding of how vowels and consonants work together in written thai - as some of the rules are complex. It's great that we have the alphabet section, but we need a series on phonics, vowels and pronunciation to supplement this.

I also want to be able to develop my handwriting through a penmanship course. It would not take too much to develop a penmanship course as a separate section. All you really need is printable PDFs. I am a graphic designer and I am developing a set based on a design used in an old (now non-existant) german thai course I found online. This is just for alphabet and vowels though. Penmanship courses start with characters and then progress to sentences that challenge the writer to develop muscle memory. This adds more dimension to the student's understanding of the language they are practicing.

What do you think?

community.thai
Been Around a Bit

Re: phonics/vowels + penmanship/writing

Postby community.thai » June 6th, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello

Thank you very much for your comment and suggestion. We really appreciated that you help. In our video lessons alphabet made easy, there are more than introducing alphabet but you will learn how vowels and consonant go together. You will learn how words are pronounce as well. We also have a Thai pronunciation guide series on video lesson to help you too. In each Thai audio lesson we are contain all romanization system and Thai letter. Please have a look and let me us know if you have any future questions or suggestions. I will be glad to hear and help you find the solution.

Have a nice day.

Parisa
Team ThaiPod101.com
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn Thai Feature Requests”