Start Learning Thai in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Alphabet & Culture

bastling
New in Town

Alphabet & Culture

Postby bastling » September 28th, 2010 10:38 pm

For those of us who are absolute beginners with Thai, having some alphabet-guidance might be nice. I'm studying Hindi (as I'm moving to Northern India), and a textbook I picked up has an interesting way of introducing Devanagari - they pick 6-8 letters of the abugida and a couple vowels, and use words with only those letters, in the lesson. So, in the first lesson, there were lots of nouns, as well as the sentence structure "What is this? What is that? This is X. That is Y." The next lesson built up with pronouns, and more questions.

It might be possible to create a similar set of lessons for Thai to incorporate the letters and the vowel diacritics, building on material slowly so as to introduce what can seem a very daunting alphabet in beginner-sized chunks.

I'm also doing some curriculum development for a company that does international & cross-cultural business training, and one thing that I've seen and liked is the insertion of little segments for a deeper grasp of culture, such as explaining names (construction, "normal" names, modes of address, titles), ways to relate with the culture (would it be appropriate for a Western man to shake hands with a Thai businesswoman? What about a Western woman shaking hands with a Thai businessman? Should you just wai and avoid it all together? What about good etiquette for a business meeting? Interviewing for a job? Going to a wedding?)

For what it's worth, I'm willing to back my suggestions with help. I have some experience in curriculum/materials development and have a couple TESOL certifications, so I'll put my money where my mouth is to help. :)

ryanjzander
New in Town

Postby ryanjzander » October 6th, 2010 8:31 am

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Almost every lesson includes some type of cultural insight. You can find these all in greater detail on the PDF format lesson notes that accompany each lesson. :D

Ryan

Join by May 6th
bastling
New in Town

Postby bastling » October 11th, 2010 1:15 am

I'm just looking for a little _more_ culture... but that may be the anthropologist half of the linguistic anthropology studies climbing out to make a request. :)
-Darcey
“Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Thai Lesson Suggestions”